Yayoi Museum & Takehisa Yumeji Museum

By Cool Tour Guides - Last updated: 日曜日, 9月 19, 2010 - Save & Share - Leave a Comment
Takabatake Kasho & his work,	     Takehisa Yumeji & his work

Takabatake Kasho & his work Takehisa Yumeji & his work

yayoi museum entrance area

●Name: Yayoi Museum & Takehisa Yumeji Museum
●Address: 2-4-2&3 Yayoi, Bunkyo ward, Tokyo, Japan
●Phone: 03-3812-0012 (Yayoi Museum)
●03-5689-0462 (Takehisa Yumeji Museum)
●URL: http://www.yayoi-yumeji-museum.jp/
●Business hours: 10:00-17:00 (Enter before 16:30)
●Closed: Every Monday (If it is on holiday, the following day)
●Admission: ¥900 (Adult), ¥800 (Student above senior high),
●¥400 (Student under junior high)


Yayoi Museum and Takehisa Yumeji Museum are built connected as a tribute to Takabatake Kasho (高畠華宵Japanese painter) and Yumeji respectively, located just in front of the University of Tokyo, Hongo campus.
The Yayoi Museum was founded by lawyer Takumi Kano on 1 June 1984 to exhibit the collection of Kasho Takabatake, a book illustrator. The museum houses a permanent exhibition of the works of Kasho Takabatake as its center, and also holds program exhibitions themed on published works of art, such as book illustrations, magazines, manga and supplements by illustrators active from the end of the Meiji era until after World War II.

Pursuing the Attraction of the Published Art of Illustrators such as Kasho Takabatake who captured the Spirit of the Meijij, Taisho, and Showa Generations, Takumi Kano established the Yayoi Museum on June 1, 1984.
In 1929, a nine-year-old boy, Kano, encountered a picture titled “Goodbye Hometown!” drawn by illustrator Kasho Takabatake who caught the spirit of the generations of that time. This experience made a deep impression on him. In the spring of 1965, 36 years after Kano first saw the picture; he found an article on a magazine mentioning Kasho lived at Airoen, old-age home, in Akashi. Then Kano wrote a letter to Kasho about the impressions his works made on him during his childhood. With this as a start, their relationship began. Kano set aside a room in his own house for Kasho which Kasho visited many times. Furthermore, the “Kasho-no-Kai” tea ceremony held in his honor was started, and an exhibition at the Matsuzakaya department store in Ueno was held, which attracted once again public attention. Kasho, however, passed away the following year at 78 years of age. A childhood encounter with one picture…. For Kano, nothing can be said to last an eternity except the impression that was made during his childhood. After obtaining the copyright for Kasho’s works, Kano was able to realize his long-cherished ambition to establish the Yayoi Museum in order to exhibit the Kasho collection, 18 years after Kasho’s passing.

Rubber stamps of the museum

Rubber stamps of the museum


Exhibition Activities
Yayoi Museum conducts a special exhibition every three months (January -March, April – June / July – September / October December), on the first and the second floors of the museum. It displays not only the works of reputed illustrators from the end of the Meiji Era until the postwar era (1890-1945), but also published art, such as illustrations, magazines, cartoons, and magazine supplements. The third floor of the Yayoi Art Museum is designed as a permanent exhibition room showing the works of Kasho. The museum has fifty works of art by Kasho on constant display, while changing themes every three months.

Takehisa Yumeji Museum
The Takehisa Yumeji Museum opened on November 3, 1990. Takehisa Yumeji Museum is connected to Yayoi Museum, so you can appreciate his works without any additional fee.

View Yayoi Museum & Takehisa Yumeji Museum in a larger map

Post cards printed in Takehisa’s work are available at the shop

Post cards printed in Takehisa’s work are available at the shop


Takehisa Yumeji (竹久 夢二September 16, 1884 – September 1, 1934, Oku (now Setouchi), Okayama, Japan) was a Japanese poet and painter. Takehisa died in 1934 at the age of 49. He never studied drawing neither in any painting school nor under any teacher formally. His drawings, mostly of Japanese beauties, were regarded as unorthodox and were disregarded in the painting circles of his day. Takehisa’s works did acquire great popularity among ordinary people and to this day have many ardent fans in Japan and abroad. At an earlier stage in his life he intended to become a poet, but knowing he could not make a living as a poet, he began drawing pictures.
The museum houses collections of Yumeji’s works owned by lawyer and curator Takumi Kano, and is located in Hongo where Yumeji stayed in the Kikuhuji Hotel. Yumeji also enjoyed meeting his dear lover, Hikono Kasai, in Hongo. Hongo is surrounded by both tranquility and the greenery of trees, reminiscent of days of old. You can enjoy extensively the romance of the Taisho Era, including not only pictures of Yumeji’s style of depicting beautiful women, which may remind you of the good old days, but also works reflecting attempts at modern design at the museum, which is the only museum exhibiting the works of Yumeji in Tokyo.

Exhibition Activities
The museum conducts a special exhibition every three months (January – March, April – June, July – September, October to December). For the special exhibitions, it plans to show various themes reflecting both the life and art of Yumeji. The museum explores deeply these themes as a museum which researches the works of Yumeji. It has 200-250 works of art drawn by Yumeji Takehisa on constant display.

<Reference materials>
Japan Anime Tourism Guide published by Japan Tourism Agency
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Website http://www.yayoi-yumeji-museum.jp/

Our English speaking Tour guides are available when you visit the museum.
Guide fee will be ¥2,000~3,000 per hour.

Contact Us at:  http://www.tenkai-japan.com/cooltours/

Posted in Cool Tours • • Top Of Page
1つ星2つ星3つ星4つ星5つ星 (1 投票, 平均値/最大値: 5.00 / 5)

Send a Message

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.